Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"Hop Head" to "Hop Whiskey Head"... Lots to learn

         
      I have gone to many beer tastings and beer related events before, but I had not had the opportunity to experience a similar event for spirits. That was until recently when along with Renzo and Mike, I was able to be part of the New York Indie Spirits Expo.  Since starting to work at Harry’s I have begun to acquire an interest in spirits and to expand my knowledge of products in the industry.  Harry’s is not a “taste for the fun of it” store. There is an expectation that you use these opportunities to learn, expand your palate, and pass the knowledge that is acquired on to others.
   Going to this tasting was not a party day with the boys, we were expected to expand our horizons. It didn't take long... We arrived and just past the check in table was the Warenghem Distillery’s selection. They had brought a broad range of products (pictured left) from their Amorik whiskey to their Dartigalengne Bas Armagnac and their representative, Martha gave a great overview of the line explaining the intricacies in the distilling process and their goals with each spirit.
I am the type of personality that really likes to know ‘how its done’ and she, along with a good number of the other reps possessed the same enthusiasm and intricate knowledge about their products. 
New Holland American spirits was another stand out in the day for me.  They not only make spirits, but they also brew beer and they incorporate aspects of the brewing with the distillation of some of their spirits.  A new style of spirits that has been garnering attention is ‘hop whiskey’ and being a “hop-head,” I was very excited to try this new wrinkle in the spirits world.  I was not disappointed!  The hop flavor worked very well and did not take out any element in the whiskey; it only added a different kind of complexity that I have not tasted before.  
Then they brought out their “Beer Barrel Bourbon”…  In this experiment they’ve aged the bourbon in the barrels for a number of years. Next, they transfer the bourbon out to other barrels and add their milk stout to the barrels the bourbon was just aging in.  After the beer has been in there for an undisclosed period of time, they take the beer out and put the bourbon back in.  You can really taste hints of coffee and dark chocolate in the bourbon which comes directly from the beer that has permeated the barrel.  This is the first time I have heard of anything like this done, and shows the creativity that is happening right now in the industry. 
This was a great experience that I am extremely grateful to have had.  The passion and creativity that goes into the craft of distilling today is beyond impressive.  I gained such an appreciation for the passion of distillers in just one night in New York and I hope to go to more events like this and keep expanding my horizons.
-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment