Sunday, January 1, 2012

Harry's 2011

Alot happened this year at Harry's and with our community in general. We started the year the same way '10 ended and that was with too much snow to measure. Our lot was piled high well into March despite having the mounds hauled off in dump trucks on more than one occasion. I remember opening the store on one particularly snowy day in January and getting a phone call in late morning, it was a customer asking if we were open. "Sure are" I said and he chuckled, "You guys are amazing, I told my wife you would be but she didn't believe it". There were quite a few limbs down on that particular morning and it wasn't an easy ride in or a profitable day but you don't hang around 70 years if you aren't the hearty type.

Spring didn't offer much relief this year as the rain came down and then came again. I guess it was good for the flowers but man was it wet. I don't remember a year with so much rain. It seemed like everytime I put grass seed on my lawn it got washed away the next day and trying to find time to paint the house???? Forget it. It was June before the weather got better. Despite the weather and the economy most of our customers seem to come through the first half of the year ok.

When august came around Irene brought her wrath and our area was hit particularly hard. Do you remember the "Ice shipment" posts in August just after the storm? Harry's was very forunate to escape alot of the havoc that was caused by her fury and sure enough we opened the doors the next day. Harry's became ice central and folks came from far and wide to get their supply and try to save what had in their refridgerators and freezers. As the days went by the dynamic changed and people really found out what it was like to rough it. I was pretty fortunate and got my power at home back in a couple of days, what a guilty feeling that was as I watched others grow more desperate by the day. About day four something changed and it was something I'll always remember....

One woman who had been coming in for her daily ration of ice (3 bags per person please) walked through the door and the stress on her face had disappeared. "You must have gotten your power back" I said. "Nope, I just couldn't keep trying to save everything so this morning I threw it all out" "Stores are open and there are alot of restaurants with their power back along the post road so I'm not going to keep trying to hang on". She went to the cooler and picked a bottle of cold Chardonnay out, came to the counter and paid for then went happily on her way.

Within the hour another woman wearing a lot of stress on her face came through the door "My friend told me you have ice" she said. "Yes ma'am" the cashier told her. "Oh good" said the woman "I'll take 10 bags" With the best intention the cashier explained that we are trying to help as many people as possible so we are limiting the purchase to 3 bags per person. With that the woman broke out in tears. "I need more, please, noone else has ice and I have kids and cooler filled with food, please"! I stepped in, "Of coure we'll help you, tell me what you need". "At least 6 bags, 10 would be better" she said. "No problem, ring her up for 10 bags". The stress subsided for a moment. "Thank you" she said. I could feel her gratitude, for a moment the load was just a little lighter for her. That was a tough time for our community and state. The ripple effects could be felt for quite some time.

It really impacted me. I could see that she was still in survival mode. She hadn't let go and trying to survive was really taking its toll. I had my power back for a few days at that point and was feeling pretty guilty about it. Here we were feeling good about helping people in their time of need. We had power and it was pretty easy for us and all the while our neighbors just a few blocks or miles away weren't so lucky.

2011 wasn't all bad though. Our neighbors next door at Fairfield cheese had a great year and brought some new faces to our corner. The Malbec grape and Portugal exploded this year in the wine world and who could forget Orogeny Pinot Noir? That was a great find for us. Found some other great stuff out of the California 2007 vintage too. Remember Groth dropping the price of its '07 Cab to $40? We also introduced many people to Sean Minor 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, The Sean Minor wines which featured Appelation correct varietals under $20 (at least so far). Copain made its triumphant return to Connecticut as well as Billecart Salmon Brut rose'. There were many great vintages available in Harry's. France gave us the terrific 2009 vintage and the wines are still coming. Orogeny and Sean Minor 2007 are history now but that is what this business is all about. We'll find the next great one and our staff will be happy to point our customers toward it. On behalf of the staff here I would like to say thank you, Your faith in us and friendly words make it a fun job for all of us. There is a real sense of community in our store and much of the credit belongs to the people that come through our doors each year. You are what keeps us in business and we thank you for not only your patronage but just as much for your friendship.

With all of the challenges this year, overall lets give 2011 a thumbs up and we look forward to serving you into 2012 and beyond.

Cheers

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment